• 홈페이지
  • A bitter Grace(Luke 1:26-38) [영어설교]
  • 조회 수: 1196, 2016.12.11 01:03:57

• 26 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." 34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" 35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in h er sixth month. 37 For nothing is impossible with God." 38 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel l left her. 

Today I want to talk about 'the bitter grace'. I did not find this word from the Bible. I created this word by my self. Of course there is sweet grace in our lives. When we talk about grace, usually we talk about sweet grace. When you bought a house and the value of the house have become twice, when your child have a good job then we can say these things happened the sweet grace. When you receive the sweet grace from God you are happy now but that does not influence you deeply for your future. But what about bitter grace? What does the bitter grace mean? Normally we don't want to receive the bitter grace. God want to give us a grace and we don't want to receive it. God want to give us that grace not only for our sake but also for other people. But at a moment it does not make us happy. Some times because of it we may be suffered, and persecuted from people. But at the end God's will will be achieved and the person who received God's grace will be blessed also. That is a bitter grace.

According to today's Bible Scripture the Lord's mother, Mary received that kind of grace. Mary was a virgin pledged to be married to Joseph. You imagine how would be the condition of a woman pledged to be married to a man. To Mary Joseph alone will be fully enough and no other favor is needed. But the angel appeared to Mary and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored!" And Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. Why? She needed no other favor than Joseph. But the angel again said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus."

What a surprise news! The angel said to Mary that she would be fragrant. Was it good news to her? No way! She did not know any other man except Joseph and only she was promise to be married to him. If Joseph heard Mary was fragrant how much he would be frustrated? How about her parents? How about her neighbors? All they would be misunderstood and they might kill her by throwing stones.

But how did Mary respond to the angel? At verse 38 Mary said "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said. Mary accepted God's favor. She did not hesitate. She obeyed to God immediately. She could discuss about this with her parents. She could discuss this with Joseph. But she did not do.

You should know that a bitter grace is for a certain individule and it is not common. So a certain individual to whom a bitter grace was given alone only understand and no other can not understand that. So it is not needed to discuss with others and even if you discuss with others you can not have a propper help. In this point of view Mary was very wise. When a bitter grace was given to her she understood it and accepted it immediately.

And a bitter grace is given to a certain individual by God's side. It's because we do not ask it. We do not pray to God about that. But when it is needed for us God decide to give us it and what God decided for us once will not be failed. So what should we know is only to accept it immediately without any hesitation and as a result God will bless us as Mary was blessed.

On this second Advent Sunday let us again meditate the story of virgin Mary and meet the graceful Christmas. 

[Closing prayer]

Heavenly Father we thank you for this second Advent Sunday. And we thank you for a bitter grace you given us in our personal life. Even though we cannot understand the grace you given us may we accept and obey to you. In Jesus' name we pray. A-men.

번호  분류  제목  조회
notice 공지사항 98257
1918 요약 신구약 새벽설교 404
1917 요약 신구약 새벽설교 98
1916 요약 신구약 새벽설교 86
영어설교 1196
1914 영어설교 848
태그